Sunday, August 30, 2009

Anecdotal Evidence

I reiterate as aforementioned: I hate statistics. They are always backward looking. We are currently analyzing June and July numbers to predict where the real estate market is at this point and time.

So as I was lamenting this flawed system, I recently listened to Ron Insana. A stalwart of empirical data, Insana said, "The economy is getting better. I can feel it. I was just at Disney and it was very busy. Everywhere I go, I see the economy bustling." (I am paraphrasing.) Moreover, at the beginning of last week, positive housing numbers came out across the board. (Mid-week, all positive articles regarding real estate, from The Boston Globe to The Wall Street Journal.)

My thought is this: read three newspapers next week. Look for any articles discussing the economy and/or real estate. If two out of three articles do not articulate any negative economic sentiment until the third paragraph, the recovery has begun. Perception is reality. ("When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." - John Wayne, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance)

No comments: